- Excel VBA - Basics (23)
- VBA User Forms (21)
- Excel VBA - pivot tables (8)
- Excel VBA - charts (6)
- VBA - advanced (13)
- VBA - working with files (10)
- VBA - linking applications (9)
- VBA - working with Outlook (13)
- Built-in VBA functions (9)
- VBA - working with data (36)
- VBA - scraping websites (17)
- VBA - working with shapes (3)
- VBA - classes and structures (6)
VBA - ADVANCED VIDEOS▼
- Flappy Owl in Excel VBA
- Excel VBA Part 15.2 - Find and FindNext
- Excel VBA Part 20a - Application Events
- Excel VBA Part 25 - Arrays
- Excel VBA Part 26 - Constants and Enumerations
- Excel VBA Part 33 - Creating Add Ins
- Excel VBA - Disable Screen Updates
- Excel VBA Part 43.1 - ByRef and ByVal
- Excel VBA Part 43.2 - ByRef and ByVal (When to use Parentheses)
- Excel VBA Part 44 - Making Excel Talk
- Excel VBA Part 45 - Finding the Last Used Row, Column and Cell
- How do I copy data without using copy and paste in Excel VBA?
- How do I split text into multiple rows using Excel VBA?
VBA - advanced videos | Excel VBA Part 43.1 - ByRef and ByVal
Posted by Andrew Gould on 17 October 2016
Passing values to other procedures is something you'll do commonly in VBA and the ByRef and ByVal keywords control exactly what happens to those values. This video explains the theory of passing information by reference and by value, as well as covering a couple of practical examples to demonstrate how to use the ByRef and ByVal keywords effectively.
There are no files which go with this video.
Making a video bigger
You can increase the size of your video to make it fill the screen like this:
Play your video (the icons shown won't appear until you do), then click on the full screen icon which appears as shown at its bottom right-hand corner.
When you've finished viewing a video in full screen mode, just press the Esc key to return to normal view.
Improving the quality of a video
To improve the quality of a video, first click on the Settings icon:
Make sure you're playing your video so that the icons shown appear, then click on this gear icon at the bottom right-hand corner.
Choose to change the video quality:
Click on Quality as shown to bring up the submenu.
The higher the number you choose, the better will be your video quality (but the slower the connection speed):
Don't choose the HD option unless you have a fast enough connection speed to support it!
Is your Wise Owl speaking too slowly (or too quickly)? You can also use the Settings menu above to change your playback speed.