Power BI Training Courses
This page lists Wise Owl scheduled public training courses on DAX and PowerPivot for Excel, and also on Power BI.
Power BI classroom training
We currently run separate training courses for the Excel Power BI tools (PowerPivot, primarily) and the standalone Power BI application, as well as a dedicated DAX course:
Not sure which course you want? See what you can learn on one of our Power BI courses.
Which is the right Power BI course for you?
The main Microsoft Power BI tools are as follows:
|Power BI Desktop||Create visual, interactive reports which you can then publish to your organisation's website (or to a public site).|
|Power BI Service||This allows you to view reports that you've published online, to create shared workspaces and to pin tiles to dashboards.|
|Power BI Mobile||Create reports to be viewed on mobile devices.|
In addition, PowerPivot within Excel is often thought of as a Power BI tool (mainly because that's what Microsoft used to call it).
You may also have heard speak of Power View, Power Map and Power Query. The first two are being quietly shelved by Microsoft, while Power Query has morphed into something called Query Editor, which is a part of both Power BI Desktop and PowerPivot. Confused? So are Microsoft when it comes to naming software!
Our Power BI Courses
We run the following introductory courses in the Microsoft Power BI tools:
|Course||What you'll learn|
|Introduction to Power BI||How to create visually interactive reports, including importing data, transforming it using Query Editor, creating visuals such as tables, matrices and charts, filtering data (for example, using slicers) and creating calculated columns and measures using DAX|
|PowerPivot for Excel||How to import data, use Query Editor to transform it, and how to create tidy data models upon which to create pivot tables in Excel. You'll also learn how to create calculated columns and measures using DAX, as well as creating KPIs. The course ends with an overview of Power BI Desktop.|
As you can see, there's a lot of overlap between the two courses! In addition, we have the following more advanced courses listed on our site:
|DAX||Learn how to create measures and calculated columns using DAX.|
|Advanced Power BI||Learn some more advanced features of Power BI, including parameters, hierarchies, binning and advanced charts.|
You can get more help on whether you should book onto our Power BI or our PowerPivot training course here (this blog contains a full explanation of the differences between the two courses).
10 things our Power BI courses include
Each of our scheduled courses includes:
- Small course sizes - we have a maximum of 6 people on each course, and frequently run courses with fewer delegates.
- A trainer! And not just anyone - our courses are only ever given by full-time Wise Owls (our average feedback scores are in the range 9.2 to 9.8 out of 10).
- Full colour courseware and exercises of oustanding quality (download a sample Power BI courseware chapter to judge this claim for yourself) .
- A no cancellation guarantee (once you've booked/confirmed training, it will run).
- A computer for each delegate (obviously).
- Lunch out each day at a local restaurant (chosen on the day of the course, after discussion!).
- Unlimited refreshments during the day, including Tassimo or Nespresso coffee and a range of biscuits and snacks to keep you going through those dark afternoon hours.
- A one gigabyte USB stick, containing course files, answers to exercises and (by the end of the course) your answers too, together with a Sheaffer biro.
- Unofficial help after the course (although we don't have a dedicated post-course support line, in practice trainers will be happy to answer the odd ad hoc question after a course has taken place).
- A certificate sent out digitally or in paper form (your choice) after each course, together with (for online courses) the trainer's thoughts on how the course went.
Scheduled Power BI training dates
Here are the Power BI courses we have scheduled for the next 3 months:
|Introduction to Power BI||Mon/Tue 22-23 October 2018||2||Manchester||£695||Book places|
|DAX||Thu/Fri 25-26 October 2018||2||London||£950||Fully booked|
|PowerPivot / Excel Power BI||Tue/Wed 30-31 October 2018||2||Manchester||£695||Book places|
|Advanced Power BI||Tue/Wed 13-14 November 2018||2||Manchester||£795||Book places|
|Introduction to Power BI||Mon/Tue 26-27 November 2018||2||Manchester||£695||Book places|
|Advanced Power BI||Thu/Fri 29-30 November 2018||2||London||£950||Book places|
|DAX||Tue/Wed 04-05 December 2018||2||Manchester||£795||Book places|
|Introduction to Power BI||Thu/Fri 20-21 December 2018||2||London||£795||Book places|
|Introduction to Power BI||Thu/Fri 03-04 January 2019||2||Manchester||£695||Book places|
|PowerPivot / Excel Power BI||Tue/Wed 08-09 January 2019||2||Manchester||£695||Book places|
|Advanced Power BI||Tue/Wed 08-09 January 2019||2||Manchester||£795||Book places|
|DAX||Thu/Fri 10-11 January 2019||2||Manchester||£795||Book places|
|Advanced Power BI||Tue/Wed 15-16 January 2019||2||London||£950||Book places|
|PowerPivot / Excel Power BI||Thu/Fri 17-18 January 2019||2||London||£850||Book places|
|Introduction to Power BI||22/10||Manchester|
|PowerPivot / Excel Power BI||30/10||Manchester|
|Advanced Power BI||13/11||Manchester|
|Introduction to Power BI||26/11||Manchester|
|Advanced Power BI||29/11||London|
|Introduction to Power BI||20/12||London|
|Introduction to Power BI||03/01||Manchester|
|PowerPivot / Excel Power BI||08/01||Manchester|
|Advanced Power BI||08/01||Manchester|
|Advanced Power BI||15/01||London|
|PowerPivot / Excel Power BI||17/01||London|
All prices exclude VAT. If you can't see the dates you want, don't forget that you always have the option of arranging onsite Power BI training at your offices (we'll even provide the computers and projector).
About our Power BI training
Both our PowerPivot and our Power BI courses use the same sample database. It's called Make-a-Mammal, and is like a more general version of Build-a-Bear. It consists of a handful of simple tables containing purchasing data for a (fictitious) company, which delegates get to analyse by:
- Region, town and shopping centre
- Environment, habitat and product
- Year, quarter and month
Our Power BI courses will not (directly) help you to pass the following Microsoft exams:
- 70-778 (Analysing and Visualising Data with Microsoft Power BI)
- 70-779 (Analysing and Visualising Data with Microsoft Excel)
However, our Power BI courses will show you how to load data into your data models, applying clever transforms as you do so, and how to add additional statistics called measures using the DAX formula language.
Other Power BI Tools training resources
Try our Power BI exercises
Blogs on Power BI
Power BI courseware manuals
You can see some sample Power BI courseware chapters below: