Power BI Training Courses
Our online and classroom training courses for Power BI our friendly and fun, while still being taught by Power BI experts.
Power BI classroom training
We currently run the following classroom training courses for Power BI, as well as a dedicated DAX course:
Online Power BI training
Alternatively, you can take the following Power BI and DAX courses online:
Or see how our online courses work (probably better than you think!).
Which is the right Power BI course for you?
The main Microsoft Power BI tools are as follows:
|Power BI Desktop||Create visual, interactive reports which you can then publish to your organisation's website (or to a public site). You can also use Power BI to create printable paginated reports.|
|Power Query||This is included within Power BI, and allows you to transform data as you're loading it.|
|Power BI Service||This allows you to view reports that you've published online, to create shared workspaces and apps and to pin tiles to dashboards.|
|Power BI Mobile||Create reports to be viewed on mobile devices.|
Our Power BI Courses
We run the following introductory courses in the Microsoft Power BI tools:
|Course||What you'll learn|
|Introduction to Power BI||How to create visually interactive reports, including importing data, transforming it using Query Editor, creating visuals such as tables, matrices and charts, filtering data (for example, using slicers) and creating calculated columns and basic maps.|
|Paginated reports||How to use Power BI Report Builder to create paginated reports suitable for printing and exporting.|
Not sure of the difference between standard on-screen interactive Power BI reports and paginated reports? We've summarised them in this handy blog.
In addition, we have the following more advanced courses listed on our site:
|DAX||Learn how to create measures and calculated columns using DAX.|
|Advanced Power BI (Reports)||Learn some more advanced features of creating Power BI reports, including bookmarks, tooltips and dynamic formatting.|
|Advanced Power BI (Data)||Learn more about some of the advanced features for transforming data in Power Query, as well as other advanced topics to do with data modelling in Power BI.|
Finally, for those wanting to accelerate their learning we run two three-day fast-track courses:
|Fast-track Power BI||Attempting to cover all of the two-day Introduction to Power BI and parts of the two-day Advanced Power BI courses (Reports and Data) in three busy days.|
|Fast-track DAX||In a similar vein, this three-day course aims to combine our two-day Introduction to DAX and two-day Introduction to Power BI courses.|
10 things our Power BI courses include
Each of our scheduled courses (whether classroom or online) includes:
- Small course sizes - we have a maximum of 6 people on each classroom or online course.
- A trainer! And not just anyone - our courses are only ever given by full-time Wise Owls.
- Full colour courseware and exercises of oustanding quality.
- A no cancellation guarantee (once you've booked and confirmed your training course, it will run).
- A one gigabyte USB stick, containing course files, answers to exercises and (by the end of the course) your answers too, together with a nice pen.
- Unofficial help after the course (although we don't have a dedicated post-course support line, in practice trainers will be happy to answer the odd ad hoc question after a course has taken place).
- A certificate sent out digitally or in paper form (your choice) after each course, together with (for tailored courses) the trainer's thoughts on how the course went.
In addition, our classroom courses also include:
- A computer for each delegate (obviously).
- Lunch out each day at a local restaurant (chosen on the day of the course, after discussion!).
- Unlimited refreshments during the day, including Tassimo or Nespresso coffee and a range of biscuits and snacks to keep you going through those dark afternoon hours.
Still not convinced? You can read hundreds of testimonials to the quality of our training (all attributed and added in the last 3 years.
About our Power BI training
All of our Power BI courses use the same sample database. It's called Create-a-Creature, and is like a more general version of Build-a-Bear. It consists of a handful of simple tables containing purchasing data for a (fictitious) company, which delegates get to analyse by:
- Region, town and shopping centre
- Environment, habitat and product
- Year, quarter and month
Our Power BI courses will not (directly) help you to pass the following Microsoft exams:
|PL-900||Microsoft Power Platform Fundamentals|
|PL-400||Microsoft Power Platform Developer|
|DA-100||Analyzing Data with Microsoft Power BI|
However, our Power BI courses will show you how to load data into your data models, applying clever transforms as you do so, and how to add additional statistics called measures using the DAX formula language.
Other Power BI training resources
There are many ways in which we can help you learn Power BI, as the list below shows.
Try our Power BI exercises
Test your Power BI skills
Take our skills assessment test to see how well you know Power BI.
Blogs on Power BI
Have a look at our blogs on Power BI and the DAX language.
Power BI training venues
Power BI consultancy
Instead of having to struggle to create Power BI reports instead (including mastering creating measures in DAX), why not ask us to help?
Can you tell me what is PowerApps? Is it another application such as Powerpivot, Power View, Power Map or something totally different?