VBA Training Courses
If you need to learn VBA, you've come to the right page! Whether you want VBA classroom training courses, exercises, blog articles or an online tutorial, the links below will help.
Not sure which course you want? See what you can learn on one of our VBA courses.
Which is the right VBA course for you?
For the vast majority of people we'd recommend that you book onto our two-day Introduction to Excel VBA course - even if you already know some VBA.
Although this course is aimed at absolute beginners, we've often found that the people who get the most out of it have a bit of VBA experience.
The course will show you how to write structured VBA programs, including comments and indentation. Programs like this, in fact:
'go to the right worksheet
'go to the top cell
'go to the bottom cell, then one further
'write in an owl name
ActiveCell.Value = "Flappy Owl"
If you're worried that this course would be too basic for you, ask yourself these questions:
- Do you know what Option Explicit means?
- Do you know when you would use the word SET to assign a variable value?
- Do you know what objects, collections, methods and properties are?
- Do you know how to use FOR EACH ... NEXT to loop over collections?
If the answer to all of these is yes, have a look at our advanced VBA course. This will show you how to work with other applications (among many other things). For example, the following code would delete any Excel files in the current folder:
'new container for working with files
Dim fso As New FileSystemObject
Dim fil As File
Dim fol As Folder
'get reference to a folder
Set fol = fso.GetFolder("c:\wise owl\")
'loop over files in current folder
For Each fil In fol.Files
If LCase(Right(fil.Name, 5)) = ".xlsx" Then
'delete all Excel workbooks
If yo're interested, this creates a reference to the Microsoft Scripting Runtime object library. If you want to understand how to do this (and what that sentence means), book on the course!
You can get even more help on choosing the right VBA course for you here.
10 things our VBA courses include
Each of our scheduled courses includes:
- Small course sizes - we have a maximum of 6 people on each course, and frequently run courses with fewer delegates.
- A trainer! And not just anyone - our courses are only ever given by full-time Wise Owls (our average feedback scores are in the range 9.2 to 9.8 out of 10).
- Full colour courseware and exercises of oustanding quality (download a sample VBA courseware chapter to judge this claim for yourself) .
- A no cancellation guarantee (once you've booked/confirmed training, it will run).
- A computer for each delegate (obviously).
- Lunch out each day at a local restaurant (chosen on the day of the course, after discussion!).
- Unlimited refreshments during the day, including Tassimo or Nespresso coffee and a range of biscuits and snacks to keep you going through those dark afternoon hours.
- A one gigabyte USB stick, containing course files, answers to exercises and (by the end of the course) your answers too, together with a Sheaffer biro.
- Unofficial help after the course (although we don't have a dedicated post-course support line, in practice trainers will be happy to answer the odd ad hoc question after a course has taken place).
- A certificate sent out digitally or in paper form (your choice) after each course, together with (for online courses) the trainer's thoughts on how the course went.
Scheduled VBA training dates
Here are the VBA courses we have scheduled for the next 3 months:
|Excel VBA macros||Tue/Wed 20-21 November 2018||2||Manchester||£695||Book places|
|Excel VBA macros||Tue/Wed 11-12 December 2018||2||London||£850||Book places|
|Advanced VBA||Thu/Fri 13-14 December 2018||2||London||£895||Book places|
|Excel VBA macros||Thu/Fri 10-11 January 2019||2||Manchester||£695||Book places|
|Advanced VBA||Tue/Wed 15-16 January 2019||2||Manchester||£750||Book places|
|Excel VBA macros||20/11||Manchester|
|Excel VBA macros||11/12||London|
|Excel VBA macros||10/01||Manchester|
All prices exclude VAT. If you can't see the dates you want, don't forget that you always have the option of arranging onsite VBA training at your offices (we'll even provide the computers and projector).
About our VBA training
Wise Owl are VBA gurus! We've been teaching businesses how to automate routine tasks using Excel macros for many years, and many of our internal systems are written in VBA too. Here are a few examples:
|This website||We use a suite of VBA modules and forms within SharePoint Designer to automate writing HTML for many pages of our website.|
|Our manuals||We create our manuals using Microsoft Word, with a host of routines written in VBA to automate content creation.|
|Scheduling courses||Our course scheduler in Excel uses VBA macros for common tasks like creating a calendar and scheduling new dates.|
|Website management||Our website CMS system is written in Access (with SQL Server as a back-end), using VBA throughout.|
Oh, and did we mention that programming in VBA is really satisfying? Well, when it works it is ...
Other Visual Basic for Applications training resources
Try our VBA exercises
VBA training venues
No one knows VBA like Wise Owl, and no other company has the same ability to write complex systems AND then explain how they work:
Blogs on VBA
We've blogged extensively on Visual Basic for Applications macros - mainly for Excel, but also for Access and other MS Office applications:
VBA courseware manuals
To help you evaluate whether to entrust yourself to a Wise Owl VBA training course, we've provided some sample courseware chapters:
VBA books or publications
If you're trying to teach yourself VBA, you might find the following book useful:
Videos on VBA
Test your VBA skills
Assess your knowledge of Visual Basic for Applications programming: