SQL Training Courses
Whatever kind of SQL training or consultancy you're looking for, this page will guide you to the answer!
SQL classroom training
We currently run the following classroom courses in writing SQL:
Online SQL training
We also have the following online SQL courses:
Not sure how if online training is for you? We've created a detailed page for you to see exactly how our online courses work (probably better than you think!).
Which is the right SQL course for you?
Sick of having to contact your IT people or third party supplier to get at your own data? Learn to write SQL queries to get at it yourself, using either SQL Server Management Studio or (by request) Azure Data Studio. We run two scheduled courses: a two-day introduction to SQL course, and a two-day advanced SQL course.
Two-day introductory course - selecting data using SQL
This course will show you how to write queries like the one below using T-SQL, the dialect of SQL used within Microsoft's SQL Server:
-- show how many films there are for each certificate
COUNT(*) as 'Number of films'
Film as f
INNER JOIN Certificate AS c
ON f.CertificateID = c.CertificateID
-- show most popular certificate first
'Number of films' DESC
This won't necessarily make much sense to you now, but it will do after the course!
Two-day advanced SQL course - programming stored procedures
This course assumes that you know how to write queries, and shows you how to program in SQL, including using variables, writing stored prcoedures and functions and using table variables and temporary tables. Here's a sample of what you'll learn to do:
CREATE PROC spListFilms(
-- list films winning this many Oscars
Film AS f
f.OscarWins between @minOscars and @maxOscars
Still not sure which is the right course for you? There's more help available here.
10 things our SQL courses include
Each of our scheduled courses (whether classroom or online) includes:
- Small course sizes - we have a maximum of 5 people on each classroom or online course.
- A trainer! And not just anyone - our courses are only ever given by full-time Wise Owls.
- Full colour courseware and exercises of oustanding quality.
- A no cancellation guarantee (once you've booked and confirmed your training course, it will run).
- A one gigabyte USB stick, containing course files, answers to exercises and (by the end of the course) your answers too, together with a Sheaffer biro.
- Unofficial help after the course (although we don't have a dedicated post-course support line, in practice trainers will be happy to answer the odd ad hoc question after a course has taken place).
- A certificate sent out digitally or in paper form (your choice) after each course, together with (for tailored courses) the trainer's thoughts on how the course went.
In addition, our classroom courses also include:
- A computer for each delegate (obviously).
- Lunch out each day at a local restaurant (chosen on the day of the course, after discussion!).
- Unlimited refreshments during the day, including Tassimo or Nespresso coffee and a range of biscuits and snacks to keep you going through those dark afternoon hours.
Still not convinced? You can read hundreds of testimonials to the quality of our training (all attributed and added in the last 3 years.
About our SQL training
Not only do we train on SQL, but we use it too! Our systems are powered by SQL Server. At the time of writing, these use the following objects, for example:
|Internal site (intranet)||128||163|
So we definitely practise what we preach! We're also big believers in teaching you not just how to write SQL, but how to write good SQL, following our own internal SQL coding standards.
Other SQL training resources
There are so many ways in which we can help you learn SQL, as the impressive list below shows.
Try our SQL exercises
You can get a good flavour of what a Wise Owl SQL course would be like by having a look at one or two of the following exercises.
SQL training venues
If you can't invest the time to learn to write SQL, why not let our SQL gurus to do it for you?
Blogs on SQL
For insights and education on writing SQL, have a browse through some of these blogs.
SQL courseware manuals
We've published the odd sample of our SQL course manuals online, so you can see just how good they are!