SQL Training Courses
Whatever kind of SQL training or consultancy you're looking for, this page will guide you to the answer!
Not sure which course you want? See what you can learn on one of our SQL courses.
Which is the right SQL course for you?
Sick of having to contact your IT people or third party supplier to get at your own data? Learn to write SQL queries to get at it yourself! We run two scheduled courses: a two-day introduction to SQL course, and a two-day advanced SQL course.
Two-day introductory course - selecting data using SQL
This course will show you how to write queries like the one below using T-SQL, the dialect of SQL used within Microsoft's SQL Server:
-- show how many films there are for each certificate
COUNT(*) as 'Number of films'
Film as f
INNER JOIN Certificate AS c
ON f.CertificateID = c.CertificateID
-- show most popular certificate first
'Number of films' DESC
This won't necessarily make much sense to you now, but it will do after the course!
Two-day advanced SQL course - programming stored procedures
This course assumes that you know how to write queries, and shows you how to program in SQL, including using variables, writing stored prcoedures and functions and using table variables and temporary tables. Here's a sample of what you'll learn to do:
CREATE PROC spListFilms(
-- list films winning this many Oscars
Film AS f
f.OscarWins between @minOscars and @maxOscars
Still not sure which is the right course for you? There's more help available here.
10 things our SQL courses include
Each of our scheduled courses includes:
- Small course sizes - we have a maximum of 6 people on each course, and frequently run courses with fewer.
- A computer for each delegate (obviously).
- A trainer! And not just anyone - Wise Owl courses are only ever given by Wise Owls.
- Full colour courseware of oustanding quality (download a sample SQL courseware chapter to judge this claim for yourself) .
- Interesting exercises to reinforce what you've learnt (you can review some of the SQL exercises we use here).
- Lunch out each day at a local restaurant (chosen on the day of the course, after discussion!).
- Unlimited refreshments during the day, including Tassimo or Nespresso coffee and a range of biscuits and snacks to keep you going through those dark afternoon hours.
- A one gigabyte USB stick, containing course files, answers to exercises and (by the end of the course) your answers too.
- A Sheaffer biro and notepad.
- Unofficial help after the course (although we don't have a dedicated post-course support line, in practice trainers will be happy to answer the odd ad hoc question after a course has taken place).
Scheduled SQL training dates
Here are the SQL courses we have scheduled for the next 3 months:
|Introduction to SQL||Tue/Wed 19-20 June 2018||2||Manchester||£695||Fully booked|
|Introduction to SQL||Thu/Fri 28-29 June 2018||2||London||£795||Book places|
|Advanced SQL||Thu/Fri 05-06 July 2018||2||Manchester||£750||Book places|
|Introduction to SQL||Thu/Fri 19-20 July 2018||2||Manchester||£695||Book places|
|Advanced SQL||Tue/Wed 24-25 July 2018||2||London||£895||Book places|
|Introduction to SQL||Thu/Fri 26-27 July 2018||2||London||£795||Book places|
|Introduction to SQL||Tue/Wed 14-15 August 2018||2||Manchester||£695||Book places|
|Advanced SQL||Tue/Wed 21-22 August 2018||2||Manchester||£750||Book places|
|Introduction to SQL||Thu/Fri 30-31 August 2018||2||London||£795||Book places|
|Advanced SQL||Tue/Wed 04-05 September 2018||2||London||£895||Book places|
|Introduction to SQL||19/06||Manchester|
|Introduction to SQL||28/06||London|
|Introduction to SQL||19/07||Manchester|
|Introduction to SQL||26/07||London|
|Introduction to SQL||14/08||Manchester|
|Introduction to SQL||30/08||London|
All prices exclude VAT. If you can't see the dates you want, don't forget that you always have the option of arranging onsite SQL training at your offices (we'll even provide the computers and projector).
About our SQL training
Not only do we train on SQL, but we use it too! Our systems are powered by SQL Server. At the time of writing, these use the following objects, for example:
|Internal site (intranet)||128||163|
So we definitely practise what we preach! We're also big believers in teaching you not just how to write SQL, but how to write good SQL, following our own internal SQL coding standards.
Other SQL training resources
Try our SQL exercises
You can get a good flavour of what a Wise Owl SQL course would be like by having a look at one or two of the following exercises:
SQL training venues
If you can't invest the time to learn to write SQL, why not let our SQL gurus to do it for you?
Blogs on SQL
For insights and education on writing SQL, have a browse through some of these blogs: