Integration Services (SSIS) Training Courses
Enjoy our friendly but expert online or classroom SSIS courses, with small course sizes (maximum 5 people). With introductory, advanced and fast-track courses to choose from, plus lots of other Integration Services training resources, there's something on this page for everyone.
SSIS classroom training
Wise Owl currently run the followng Integration Services training courses:
Online SSIS training
Our introduction to Integration Services course is also available online:
Not sure how if online training is for you? We've created a detailed page for you to see exactly how our online courses work (probably better than you think!).
Which is the right SSIS course for you?
SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) is what's called ETL software, standing for Extract, Transform and Load. SSIS allows you to do the following:
|Extract||You can get data from a wide range of data sources (the course will concentrate on SQL Server, Excel and CSV or text files, but the principles apply to any data source).|
|Transform||Integration Services includes a wide variety of data transforms. The course will show you (for example) how to use data conversion transforms to convert data; derived column transforms to add new columns; lookup transforms to compare data against a master list; and conditional split transforms to split data according to some test that you execute against each row.|
|Load||Finally, you can send data to a variety of destinations, including SQL Server, Excel and text files.|
In addition to the above, the introductory course will show you how to work with files using file system tasks. Here are some of the things you'll learn how to do:
|Basic tasks||Creating folders and copying files.|
|Loops||Looping over all of the files in a folder.|
|Multiple imports||Loop over (for example) all of the workbooks in a folder, importing the data from each.|
In addition to the above, we also have a two-day advanced SSIS course, which concentrates on script tasks and script components in SSIS, teaching you how to write script like this:
public void Main()
// work out number of films
int gf = Convert.ToInt32(Dts.Variables["GoodFilms"].Value);
int bf = Convert.ToInt32(Dts.Variables["BadFilms"].Value);
int nf = gf + bf;
// show results
MessageBox.Show("There are " + nf.ToString() + " films");
Dts.TaskResult = (int)ScriptResults.Success;
We use C# rather than VB as a scripting language for several reasons, one of them being that this is the language used in SSIS expressions anyway.
The advanced course will also show how you can use SSIS to send mail, react to events, log data - and much more!
If you're still not sure whether this course is right for you, there's more help available for choosing here.
10 things our SSIS courses include
Each of our scheduled courses (whether classroom or online) includes:
- Small course sizes - we have a maximum of 5 people on each classroom or online course.
- A trainer! And not just anyone - our courses are only ever given by full-time Wise Owls.
- Full colour courseware and exercises of oustanding quality.
- A no cancellation guarantee (once you've booked and confirmed your training course, it will run).
- A one gigabyte USB stick, containing course files, answers to exercises and (by the end of the course) your answers too, together with a Sheaffer biro.
- Unofficial help after the course (although we don't have a dedicated post-course support line, in practice trainers will be happy to answer the odd ad hoc question after a course has taken place).
- A certificate sent out digitally or in paper form (your choice) after each course, together with (for tailored courses) the trainer's thoughts on how the course went.
In addition, our classroom courses also include:
- A computer for each delegate (obviously).
- Lunch out each day at a local restaurant (chosen on the day of the course, after discussion!).
- Unlimited refreshments during the day, including Tassimo or Nespresso coffee and a range of biscuits and snacks to keep you going through those dark afternoon hours.
Still not convinced? You can read hundreds of testimonials to the quality of our training (all attributed and added in the last 3 years.
About our SSIS training
Here's a scenario where using Integration Services could not only free up your time, but also ensure that data was processed accurately too:
- Imagine that each month each division of your organisation submits results in a CSV file. This contains a few free-text header lines which you always have to delete, then thousands of rows of transactions.
- You know that the data is often a bit iffy: dates come in a format which no other software application will read, and product names are frequently misspelt.
- You want to import all of the data into a single SQL Server table, cleaning it up in the process, then move the CSV files to an archive folder, renaming them in the process.
Integration Services would allow you to do all of the above in a single package, which would have the additional advantage of having a flow diagram clearly laid out showing the order of execution of the different tasks.
Other Integration Services training resources
There are so many ways in which we can help you learn SSIS, as the impressive list below shows.
Try our SSIS exercises
You can use the following Integration Services exercises either to practice before a course, or to assess your level of ability - or just for fun!
Blogs on SSIS
Looking for help with Integration Services? Some of these blogs may help.
SSIS courseware manuals
To help you choose the right Integrations Services course, have a look at this sample SSIS courseware chapter.