SQL SERVER 2016 VIDEOS
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 1 - Installing SQL Server 2016 Developer Edition
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 2 - Using Configuration Manager and Management Studio
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 3 - System Databases, Backing Up and Restoring
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 4 - Databases, Logins, Users, Roles and Schemas
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 5 - Basic Table Design, Data Types and Constraints
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 6 - Designing and Creating Relational Databases
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 7 - Computed Columns
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 8 - The Wise Owl Movies Database
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 9 - Installing SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)
SQL Server 2016 videos | SQL Server 2016 Pt 7 - Computed Columns
Posted by Andrew Gould on 10 November 2016
A computed column in a SQL Server table allows you to store an expression which calculates a new value based on the data in other columns of the same table. This video explains how to create computed columns and how to persist the result of the calculation so that it's stored in the table. You'll also learn a little about SQL Server's expression syntax, including how to use some of its built-in functions, the difference between deterministic and non-deterministic functions, how to use Case expressions to test conditions and how to concatenate strings. We'll do this by building a few example computed columns including constructing a full name from first and last name columns, calculating age in days using the DateDiff function and calculating age in years using DateDiff, DateAdd and a Case expression.
You can download any files that you need to follow the video here.
You can increase the size of the video:
You can view the video in full screen mode as shown on the left, using the icon at the bottom right of the frame.
You can also increase the quality of the video:
You can improve the resolution of the video using another icon at the bottom right of the frame. This will slow down the connection speed, but increase the display and sound quality. This icon only becomes visible when you start playing the video.
Finally, if nothing happens when you play the video, check that you're not using IE in compatibility view.