Microsoft Business Intelligence Training Courses
Wise Owl train in all the main Microsoft Business Intelligence applications (collectively sometimes called the BI Stack), including Reporting Services and Analysis Services, as well as in the Excel Power BI Tools and Power BI.
Business Intelligence classroom training
We run classroom training courses in most Business Intelligence tools in the MS BI Stack, as the list below shows:
Online Business Intelligence training
You can take many of our BI courses online too:
Not sure if online training is for you? We've created a detailed page for you to see exactly how our online courses work (probably better than you think!).
Which is the right Business Intelligence course for you?
We reckon that you work in Business Intelligence or BI if your job involves interpreting large amounts of data to make business decisions. Below is a summary of the BI courses that we offer.
You can also create business intelligence tools using Excel or Access, of course, or even by programming in SQL, C#, VB or VBA. Business intelligence is at the heart of virtually every training course that we run!
SQL Server BI Tools
The Microsoft BI world includes the following software applications for SQL Server:
|Integration Services||This allows you to extract data from a number of different formats, transform it and then load it into its final resting place (such as a data warehouse). We currently run a two-day SSIS Introduction course, and also list a two-day advanced SSIS course.|
|Analysis Services||This comes in two flavours: multi-dimensional model SSAS allows you to build cubes, and tabular model SSAS is the more modern variant. If you're not sure which to use, read this blog on the differences between them.|
|Reporting Services||This allows you to create reports and publish them to your corporate Intranet or to the wider Internet. We currently run a two-day Introduction to SSRS course and also a two-day advanced SSRS training course, as well as a course on the simplified version of SSRS is that Report Builder.|
Other BI Tools
You can also create BI applications using PowerPivot within Excel or the Power BI tools:
|Excel Power BI Tools||The main Excel Power BI tools are PowerPivot (which allows you to import data from a number of different data sources, and combine the resulting tables to create a data model and hence a pivot table), and Power Query (which is like a mini SSIS, allowing you to extract, transform and load data within Excel). Our two-day Excel Power BI course covers these, as well as giving an overview of Power BI Desktop.|
|Power BI||The standalone Power BI package allows you to create beautiful dashboards by importing data from a variety of data sources and then visualising it on screen. Our two day Power BI course also covers Power BI web services, our two-day advanced Power BI course covers more advanced reporting features and we also have a two-day Paginated Reports course which shows how to create printable reports in Power BI.|
We also run a two-day course on DAX, the formula language used by PowerPivot and Power BI (and by Analysis Services Tabular Model too, as it happens).
If you're not sure which of the above courses to choose - PowerPivot or Power BI - read our blog on the differences between the two products.
If you're still not sure which is the right course for you, give us a ring or send us a quick enquiry!
10 things our Business Intelligence courses include
Each of our scheduled courses (whether classroom or online) includes:
- Small course sizes - we have a maximum of 5 people on each classroom or online course.
- A trainer! And not just anyone - our courses are only ever given by full-time Wise Owls.
- Full colour courseware and exercises of oustanding quality.
- A no cancellation guarantee (once you've booked and confirmed your training course, it will run).
- A one gigabyte USB stick, containing course files, answers to exercises and (by the end of the course) your answers too, together with a Sheaffer biro.
- Unofficial help after the course (although we don't have a dedicated post-course support line, in practice trainers will be happy to answer the odd ad hoc question after a course has taken place).
- A certificate sent out digitally or in paper form (your choice) after each course, together with (for tailored courses) the trainer's thoughts on how the course went.
In addition, our classroom courses also include:
- A computer for each delegate (obviously).
- Lunch out each day at a local restaurant (chosen on the day of the course, after discussion!).
- Unlimited refreshments during the day, including Tassimo or Nespresso coffee and a range of biscuits and snacks to keep you going through those dark afternoon hours.
Still not convinced? You can read hundreds of testimonials to the quality of our training (all attributed and added in the last 3 years.
About our Business Intelligence training
Whichever Business Intelligence course you choose to attend, we'll try to make it as interesting as possible. In particular, you'll work with datasets which are as simple as they can be, while still allowing us to demonstrate the topics needing covering:
|SSRS, Report Builder||Our database of 1,200 movies|
|Power BI, PowerPivot, SSAS||Our Make-a-Mammal database|
|Integration Services||A variety of different data sources|
Whichever course you attend, we'll try to show you how you can analyse data (big or small) and present it in a meaningful and interesting way!
Other Business Intelligence training resources
There are many ways in which we can help you learn Business Intelligence, as the list below shows.