SSRS REPORTING SERVICES EXERCISES▼
- Designing a Simple Report (3)
- Data sources and datasets (1)
- Tables (5)
- Grouping tables (6)
- Expressions (8)
- Pages and printing (2)
- Parameters (15)
- Indicators (3)
- Gauges (4)
- Matrices (5)
- Charts (6)
- Data bars and sparklines (2)
- Lists (4)
- Subreports (2)
- Revision of expressions (3)
- Variables (3)
- Embedding code (3)
- Basic Custom Assemblies (2)
- Examples of custom assemblies (1)
- Customising reports (2)
- Using SQL views (3)
- Stored procedures in SSRS (2)
- Stored procedure parameters (2)
- Dropdowns with procedures (3)
- Multivalue parameter procedures (1)
- Improving report navigation (2)
- Linking reports (drilldown) (4)
- Dynamic reports (2)
SSRS Reporting Services | Gauges exercise | Show Film Ages Using a Gauge
This exercise is provided to allow potential course delegates to choose the correct Wise Owl Microsoft training course, and may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any format without the prior written consent of Wise Owl.
- Go into SQL Server Management Studio;
- Open the SQL file you've just unzipped (you can press CTRL + O to do this); then
- Execute this script.
This will generate the database that you'll need to use in order to do this exercise (note that the database and script are only to be used for exercises published on this website, and may not be reused or distributed in any form without the prior written permission of Wise Owl).
You need a minimum screen resolution of about 700 pixels width to see our exercises. This is because they contain diagrams and tables which would not be viewable easily on a mobile phone or small laptop. Please use a larger tablet, notebook or desktop computer, or change your screen resolution settings.
Create a report called Gauge The Age, add a data source which connects to the Movies database and a dataset which selects these fields from the Film table:
Select these two fields.
Add a calculated field called Age to work out an approximate age in years for each film:
Use the DateDiff function to calculate an approximate age.
Add a table which displays the Title and ReleaseDate fields and add a gauge to the last column:
Choose a different type of gauge if you prefer.
Modify the gauge in the following ways:
- Assign the Age field to the gauge's pointer.
- Assign the Age field to the label (insert a label if you need to).
- Alter the scale interval to 25.
- Display major tick marks on the scale.
- Change the type of pointer to a Marker.
- Change the pointer colour.
Preview the report to see the effect of your changes:
Feel free to experiment with other formatting options.
Save and close the report.