WISE OWL EXERCISES
POWER BI EXERCISES
- PowerPivot data models (7)
- Pivot tables using PowerPivot (2)
- Using Excel tables (3)
- Using other data sources (1)
- Transforming data (Power Query) (7)
- Calculated columns (7)
- Measures (2)
- The CALCULATE function (15)
- More advanced DAX functions (5)
- Calendars (1)
- Date functions (10)
- Hierarchies (2)
- KPIs (5)
- Power View (4)
- Power BI Desktop overview (3)
- Power BI Desktop maps (1)
PowerPivot | KPIs exercise | KPI showing progress against previous year
This exercise is provided to allow potential course delegates to choose the correct Wise Owl Microsoft training course, and may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any format without the prior written consent of Wise Owl.
You can learn how to do this exercise on the relevant Wise Owl classroom training course (sadly for the moment only in the UK).
You need a minimum screen resolution of about 700 pixels width to see our exercises. This is because they contain diagrams and tables which would not be viewable easily on a mobile phone or small laptop. Please use a larger tablet, notebook or desktop computer, or change your screen resolution settings.
To start, if you haven't already done so run the script in the above folder to generate the MAM database (not for commercial use or copying).
Create two measures:
- One giving the total value of sales for the current filter context; and
- One giving the total value of sales for the same period in the previous year (one way to do this is with the SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR function).
Use these to create KPIs showing how well you're doing against the previous period:
The green tick means 95% or above; the yellow exclamation mark means 90% or above.
Save this as Month by month, then close it down.