WISE OWL EXERCISES
SSRS REPORTING SERVICES EXERCISES
- Designing a Simple Report (3)
- Data sources and datasets (1)
- Tables (5)
- Grouping tables (6)
- Expressions (8)
- Pages and printing (2)
- Parameters (15)
- Indicators (3)
- Gauges (4)
- Matrices (5)
- Charts (6)
- Data bars and sparklines (2)
- Lists (4)
- Subreports (2)
- Revision of expressions (3)
- Variables (3)
- Embedding code (3)
- Basic Custom Assemblies (2)
- Examples of custom assemblies (1)
- Customising reports (2)
- Using SQL views (3)
- Stored procedures in SSRS (2)
- Stored procedure parameters (2)
- Dropdowns with procedures (3)
- Multivalue parameter procedures (1)
- Improving report navigation (2)
- Linking reports (drilldown) (4)
- Dynamic reports (2)
SSRS Reporting Services | Linking reports (drilldown) exercise | Create a Drill-Through Matrix
This exercise is provided to allow potential course delegates to choose the correct Wise Owl Microsoft training course, and may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any format without the prior written consent of Wise Owl.
You can learn how to do this exercise on the relevant Wise Owl classroom training course (sadly for the moment only in the UK).
- Go into SQL Server Management Studio;
- Open the SQL file you've just unzipped (you can press CTRL + O to do this); then
- Execute this script.
This will generate the database that you'll need to use in order to do this exercise (note that the database and script are only to be used for exercises published on this website, and may not be reused or distributed in any form without the prior written permission of Wise Owl).
You need a minimum screen resolution of about 700 pixels width to see our exercises. This is because they contain diagrams and tables which would not be viewable easily on a mobile phone or small laptop. Please use a larger tablet, notebook or desktop computer, or change your screen resolution settings.
Create a report called Enter The Matrix which contains a matrix showing the number of films released in each Genre and Certificate:
You'll need a dataset which includes the Film, Genre and Certificate tables to do this.
Add an action to the matrix so that clicking one of its data cells opens a report called Down The Rabbit Hole and displays a list of films with the selected genre and certificate:
Here's an idea of what the drill-through report could look like.
Save and close the two reports.