WISE OWL EXERCISES
- Simple Queries (4)
- Setting criteria using WHERE (5)
- Calculations (7)
- Calculations using dates (4)
- Basic joins (8)
- More exotic joins (2)
- Aggregation and grouping (8)
- Views (5)
- Subqueries (3)
- Stored procedures (5)
- Variables (8)
- Parameters and return values (11)
- Testing conditions (1)
- Looping (3)
- Scalar functions (6)
- Transactions (4)
- Creating tables (4)
- Temporary tables and table variables (9)
- Table-valued functions (6)
- Derived tables and CTEs (11)
- Dynamic SQL (4)
- Pivots (2)
- Triggers (2)
- Archived (70)
SQL | Subqueries exercise | List events not in the last 30 countries or the last 15 categories
This exercise is provided to allow potential course delegates to choose the correct Wise Owl Microsoft training course, and may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any format without the prior written consent of Wise Owl.
The answer to the exercise will be included and explained if you attend the course listed below!
- Go into SQL Server Management Studio;
- Open the SQL file you've just unzipped (you can press CTRL + O to do this); then
- Execute this script.
This will generate the database that you'll need to use in order to do this exercise (note that the database and script are only to be used for exercises published on this website, and may not be reused or distributed in any form without the prior written permission of Wise Owl).
You need a minimum screen resolution of about 700 pixels width to see our exercises. This is because they contain diagrams and tables which would not be viewable easily on a mobile phone or small laptop. Please use a larger tablet, notebook or desktop computer, or change your screen resolution settings.
Create a subquery to list out all of those events whose:
- Country id is not in the list of the last 30 country ids in alphabetical order; and
- Category id is not in the list of the last 15 category ids in alphabetical order.
You'll need to use the words NOT IN, as well as TOP N ... DESC.
Your query should list these 8 events (shown here in chronological order):
These events occurred in countries and categories coming early in the alphabet.
Save this query as Early events, then close it down.