SQL SERVER 2016 VIDEOS
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 1 - Installing SQL Server 2016 Developer Edition
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 2 - Using Configuration Manager and Management Studio
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 3 - System Databases, Backing Up and Restoring
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 4 - Databases, Logins, Users, Roles and Schemas
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 5 - Basic Table Design, Data Types and Constraints
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 6 - Designing and Creating Relational Databases
- SQL Server 2016 Pt 7 - Computed Columns
VIDEOS BY AUTHOR
VIDEOS BY YEAR
SQL Server 2016 videos | SQL Server 2016 Pt 5 - Basic Table Design, Data Types and Constraints
Posted by Andrew Gould on 10 November 2016
Designing basic tables in SQL Server involves deciding which columns the table should include, what the data type of those columns should be (not always an easy choice!) and a few additional properties such as whether the column can be left empty (or NULL) and whether there should be any constraints on the values entered into the column. This video takes you through that process to design and create a simple table to store information about people. The video contains a discussion of the main text, number and date data types in SQL Server - you'll learn the difference between char, varchar, nchar and nvarchar data types, as well as the difference between exact and approximate numerics. The video also covers the basics of inserting and editing data before the final part shows how to automatically generate scripts that will recreate the table and its precious data in the event that you delete it.
You can increase the size of the video:
You can view the video in full screen mode as shown on the left, using the icon at the bottom right of the frame.
You can also increase the quality of the video:
You can improve the resolution of the video using another icon at the bottom right of the frame. This will slow down the connection speed, but increase the display and sound quality. This icon only becomes visible when you start playing the video.
Finally, if nothing happens when you play the video, check that you're not using IE in compatibility view.