Visual Basic Training Courses and Resources
We run training courses for VB in WPF, WinForms and as a programming language in its own right, using Visual Studio as a development environment.
Not sure which course you want? See what you can learn on one of our Visual Basic courses.
Other Visual Basic training resources
Try our Visual Basic exercises
Want to test out your VB skills? Try one of our many online Visual Basic exercises:
Blogs on Visual Basic
Visual Basic consultancy
Whether you want to create a website, a forms-based system or just have a particularly difficult program you need to write, Wise Owl software development provides an alternative to training a member of staff internally:
Which is the right Visual Basic course for you?
Visual Basic is a language which goes by 3 different names: Visual Basic itself, VB or VB.NET. We'll refer to it as VB below for brevity.
Our two-day introduction to VB course will teach you how to create variables like this:
'create a variable and store a value
Dim BestLanguage As String = "VB"
You'll also learn how to create simple loops:
'count how many owls there are
Dim OwlNumber As Integer
For OwlNumber = 1 To MaxOwls
'do something here
As well as more complicated ones:
Public Sub CountOwls()
'create a list of owls
Dim owls As New List(Of String)
'add a few
'list out the results
For Each owl In owls
'do something to each owl here
The course will also show you how to:
- Manipulate files and folders;
- Debug programs that are going wrong; and
- If time allows, create basic classes.
Although not listed elsewhere on this website, we'll also consider requests for advanced VB training or consultancy.
10 things our Visual Basic courses include
Each of our scheduled courses includes:
- Small course sizes - we have a maximum of 6 people on each course, and frequently run courses with fewer.
- A computer for each delegate (obviously).
- A trainer! And not just anyone - Wise Owl courses are only ever given by Wise Owls.
- Full colour courseware of oustanding quality (download a sample Visual Basic courseware chapter to judge this claim for yourself) .
- Interesting exercises to reinforce what you've learnt (you can review some of the Visual Basic exercises we use here).
- Lunch out each day at a local restaurant (chosen on the day of the course, after discussion!).
- Unlimited refreshments during the day, including Tassimo or Nespresso coffee and a range of biscuits and snacks to keep you going through those dark afternoon hours.
- A one gigabyte USB stick, containing course files, answers to exercises and (by the end of the course) your answers too.
- A Sheaffer biro and notepad.
- Unofficial help after the course (although we don't have a dedicated post-course support line, in practice trainers will be happy to answer the odd ad hoc question after a course has taken place).