WISE OWL EXERCISES
- Simple Queries (4)
- Setting criteria using WHERE (5)
- Calculations (7)
- Calculations using dates (4)
- Basic joins (8)
- More exotic joins (2)
- Aggregation and grouping (8)
- Views (5)
- Subqueries (5)
- Stored procedures (5)
- Variables (8)
- Parameters and return values (11)
- Testing conditions (1)
- Looping (3)
- Scalar functions (6)
- Transactions (5)
- Creating tables (5)
- Temporary tables and table variables (9)
- Table-valued functions (6)
- Derived tables and CTEs (13)
- Dynamic SQL (4)
- Pivots (2)
- Triggers (2)
- Archived (70)
SQL | Archived exercise | CTE for Spielberg films and actors
This exercise is provided to allow potential course delegates to choose the correct Wise Owl Microsoft training course, and may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any format without the prior written consent of Wise Owl.
The answer to the exercise will be included and explained if you attend the relevant Wise Owl course (sadly, only in the UK for now).
You need a minimum screen resolution of about 700 pixels width to see our exercises. This is because they contain diagrams and tables which would not be viewable easily on a mobile phone or small laptop. Please use a larger tablet, notebook or desktop computer, or change your screen resolution settings.
The aim of this exercise is to display all of the actors who have appeared in films directed by Spielberg, but we'll do it in two passes, using a CTE:
The first few rows of the 24 actors we should see at the end
Yes, you could do this all with a single SELECT statement, but using the CTE - arguably - makes the whole thing easier to understand.
To accomplish this:
- create a CTE which shows all of the films directed by Spielberg; then
- link the results of this CTE to the tblCast and tblActor tables to show the results above
When you've finished, save this query as Spielberg, then close it down.