WISE OWL EXERCISES
- Simple Queries (4)
- Setting criteria using WHERE (5)
- Calculations (7)
- Calculations using dates (4)
- Basic joins (8)
- More exotic joins (2)
- Aggregation and grouping (8)
- Views (5)
- Subqueries (5)
- Stored procedures (5)
- Variables (8)
- Parameters and return values (11)
- Testing conditions (1)
- Looping (3)
- Scalar functions (6)
- Transactions (5)
- Creating tables (5)
- Temporary tables and table variables (9)
- Table-valued functions (6)
- Derived tables and CTEs (13)
- Dynamic SQL (4)
- Pivots (2)
- Triggers (2)
- Archived (70)
SQL | Archived exercise | Show years elapsed for each event
This exercise is provided to allow potential course delegates to choose the correct Wise Owl Microsoft training course, and may not be reproduced in whole or in part in any format without the prior written consent of Wise Owl.
The answer to the exercise will be included and explained if you attend the relevant Wise Owl course (sadly, only in the UK for now).
You need a minimum screen resolution of about 700 pixels width to see our exercises. This is because they contain diagrams and tables which would not be viewable easily on a mobile phone or small laptop. Please use a larger tablet, notebook or desktop computer, or change your screen resolution settings.
If you haven't already got it set up in SQL server, restore the Historical Events database from the above folder.
Create the following query, using:
- CONVERT to convert the date of each event to a more readable format; and
- DATEDIFF to show the difference between each event's date and today in years
Your final output should look like this (sorted in reverse date order):
The DateDiff syntax is: DateDiff(year,EarlierDate,LaterDate)
Save this query as Am I really that old, then close it down.