DAX Training Courses
DAX is the formula language embedded within Power BI Desktop, PowerPivot and Analysis Services (Tabular Model). See below for Wise Owl resources which can help you learn DAX!
DAX classroom training
We run a course devoted to DAX, and also teach it as part of our Power BI and SSAS Tabular courses:
Which is the right DAX course for you?
Before considering which is the right DAX course, perhaps it's worth stepping back and explaining what DAX is!
Suppose you have a pivot table showing sales by quarter and region. You want to show total sales as a multiple of sales for the London region. To do this you might create the following measure:
For each data point in a pivot table, matrix or chart, this will calculate the ratio between two values:
|Value||What is calculated|
|Numerator||Total sales for the current combination of row and column values, together with any other constraints.|
|Denominator||Total sales for the same combination of constraints, but for the London region.|
For those who can't remember their GCSE maths (fourth grade?), in a ratio A/B the numerator is the thing you're dividing (A) and the denominator is the thing you're dividing by (B). The language in which this formula is written is called DAX - to begin with it looks like the Excel formula language, but you'll soon find out that it's quite different!
Courses including DAX
Wise Owl run the following courses which include DAX (presented here in order of how much is covered):
|Analysis Services (Tabular)||Calculated columns and basic to intermediate measures, including date-based formulae.|
|PowerPivot for Excel||Calculated columns and measures (the level will depend on the delegates on the course)|
|DAX||A thorough look at DAX, including understanding some of the more complicated functions like VALUES and EARLIER.|
For even more help on what you can hope to learn on one of our DAX courses, see this DAX help page.
10 things our DAX courses include
Each of our scheduled courses (whether classroom or online) includes:
- Small course sizes - we have a maximum of 5 people on each classroom or online course.
- A trainer! And not just anyone - our courses are only ever given by full-time Wise Owls.
- Full colour courseware and exercises of oustanding quality.
- A no cancellation guarantee (once you've booked and confirmed your training course, it will run).
- A one gigabyte USB stick, containing course files, answers to exercises and (by the end of the course) your answers too, together with a Sheaffer biro.
- Unofficial help after the course (although we don't have a dedicated post-course support line, in practice trainers will be happy to answer the odd ad hoc question after a course has taken place).
- A certificate sent out digitally or in paper form (your choice) after each course, together with (for tailored courses) the trainer's thoughts on how the course went.
In addition, our classroom courses also include:
- A computer for each delegate (obviously).
- Lunch out each day at a local restaurant (chosen on the day of the course, after discussion!).
- Unlimited refreshments during the day, including Tassimo or Nespresso coffee and a range of biscuits and snacks to keep you going through those dark afternoon hours.
Still not convinced? You can read hundreds of testimonials to the quality of our training (all attributed and added in the last 3 years.
About our DAX training
There will be at most 6 delegates on any of our scheduled DAX courses, and each personally (naturally) will have his or her own computer to use (we can also do onsite DAX training, although we will never train more than 8 people at a time).
We can't promise how many DAX functions we'll cover, as this depends on the ability and enthusiasm of you and your fellow trainees, but as a rough guide PowerPivot courses tend to spend a bit longer on DAX measures than Power BI Desktop courses, and dive a bit deeper into the syntax.
Other DAX training resources
There are so many ways in which we can help you learn DAX, as the impressive list below shows.