BLOGS BY TOPIC▼
BLOGS BY AUTHOR▼
BLOGS BY YEAR▼
This is a bigger update than usual, with the highlight undoubtedly being the official roll-out of the much-trailed new table and matrix visuals.
- Updates to Power BI Desktop - July 2017
- New table and matrix visuals
- Renaming fields - at last! (this blog)
- Incorporating custom visuals within Power BI Desktop
- Relative date slicers and filters
- Responsive visuals which adapt to your screen size
- Breakdown option in waterfall charts
Posted by Andy Brown on 13 July 2017
You need a minimum screen resolution of about 700 pixels width to see our blogs. This is because they contain diagrams and tables which would not be viewable easily on a mobile phone or small laptop. Please use a larger tablet, notebook or desktop computer, or change your screen resolution settings.
Renaming fields - at last!
This is such a welcome change! Often, you want to change the name of a field in a visual:
RegionName is a bit clunky - you'd like to shorten this to Region.
Previously you had to rename the field in the underlying table, but you can now just right-click on the field in the field well to rename it:
Double-clicking works too, and is even easier.
You can now change the name of the field:
You can change the field name just for this visual.
To revert to the underlying field name, you can just remove the field from the visual and then add it back again.